Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tuesday Tip for Success

Every Tuesday, I will give you all a tip for success. As a senior at Arizona State University, I am always thinking about what I can do to one-up my fellow classmates.  These are things that I have learned throughout my 4 years of college and I think they are vital to anyone's success, regardless your field of study.  Enough yapping, let's get to it.




Always get a business card
With social media taking over the world, you would think that business cards are a blast from the past. But the truth is that they are just as important today as they were 20 years ago.  Each business card you have in hand is one more connection, contact or future employer.  After any interview, conference or meeting, ALWAYS ask for a business card. With the business card, write on the back where you met that person and the date you met with them. Six months later, when you are looking for a internship or job, you can whip out the business card, know who the person was (in case you forgot) and when you met with them. You can them email them and start the conversation out like this: "Good morning Jim Johnson- I met you July 3rd at the PRSA conference in Phoenix...." When he sees that 1.) You know his name, occupation and contact info and 2.) the date you met, he will be more than impressed. This is just a simple way to gain a possible gig in the future.

Stay tuned for next Tuesday's Tip for Success!

1 comment:

  1. Great tip! I like the idea of writing little things your remember about them on the back of the card. Definitely more personal!

    xo
    Han

    ReplyDelete